Sunday, March 7, 2010

Some of the best four days of my life!

Some of the best four days of my life!!

We left for Swakopmund, mid week! We were all pretty psyched about the trip. For me, it was at the very least a welcome escape from the house which I tire from. I love to travel and I could hardly wait to go! We loaded up the van last Wednesday and headed out for Swakop!

The drive was three to four hours! When we got there we split up into groups to live in which of the guest houses for the next three days. Then we were off to the beach which was beautiful. Our first glance at the Atlantic from Namibia was at night. The waves roared! They were very intense! It was so beautiful, it brought a contemplative mood over me.

Then we went to the Lighthouse for dinner. It was so delicious and everyone had been starving so we ate quite a bit.

The next day was full of speakers in Swakopmund. We went to the Rossing Mine which mines uranium. It was really interesting and beautiful. It also had its own precautions and safety measures, like wearing a seat belt, which is not common practice in most of Namibia.

In the afternoon we went grocery shopping. Then Jenna and I stayed in, made our own dinner and watched Shakespeare in Love. Then it was off to the beach again. The beach is so beautiful at night but at that point I was very cold and salty from the air and the waves and was looking forward to a chance to see the beach in the day.

The next day we went to Walvis Bay (often pronounced wall-fish bay here). We saw a lot of interesting things like Namport, a trading port and the Export Processing Zone which allows foreign companies to process Namibian resources here and then export them all over the world. Then we drove back to Swakopmund. Kate and I had dinner at Spurs, which sort of reminds me of TGIF except with a Native American theme which is interesting!

Saturday was our free day and a group of us went sea kayaking. This was y far my favorite activity in Swakopmund and my favorite day on this trip, hands down!! We drove out from Swakopmund with Leon and Craig, our guides, to Walvis Bay. We got to see seal colonies! They were mostly mamas and babies! They were so loud they barked and made a sound like a goat!

Then we got on the water. Lauren, my partner in the kayak, and I went out with the group. We first went to deep water to try to find dolphins which we didn’t end up seeing. Then we came further in to play with the seals. Seals are some of the best animals ever!! Their bodies jumping around in the water shimmer in the sun and their playful attitude is made apparent when they peek their heads out of the water to check you out. It was so amazing. The faster Lauren and I went the faster they would swim along side us! It was so amazing! They would jump right next to our kayak. Also one bit Lauren’s paddle! It was SO amazing! The air was clear and salty and the water splashed me which helped keep me cool! It was the best tourist experience I have had here in Namibia so far!

Unfortunately we had to come back in eventually. We had sandwiches and explored a little. Some people found a dead baby seal. Many people found seal bones. It was so beautiful.

The ride back we were all exhausted! Then, back in Swakopmund, we finally got to go to the beach during the day! It was marvelous! We also did yoga on the beach taught by our very own development teacher, Linda Raven. It was so fun but my body was exhausted. Also the ocean is very rough and you have to be a very strong swimmer to make it! It roughed me up a bit!

As amazing as this day was, the night was just as fun. My roomies and I went to Napolitana, an Italian restaurant for dinner. Then Morgan, Holland and I went out to Rafter Action Pub, which was very fun. Then we went dancing! It was so fun, even when we got lost on our way back home!

And so concludes my adventures in Swakopmund… or does it? I am going to spend from March 22nd to 26th in Swakopmund for spring break!

1 comment:

  1. "Dead baby seal. ... seal bones... It was so beautiful. " you made me laugh so hard. :-) I know what you are talking about though, animal's bones get so white that they actually do look beautiful. :-)
    I'm glad that you are having fun dancing. :-)

    ReplyDelete