Saturday, April 17, 2010

Passover in Namibia: Who Knew?

Wednesday, March 31st I celebrated Passover in Namibia! I was feeling a bit blue not celebrating with my family when the opportunity arose to celebrate here! A few other CGE students and I went to the only synagogue in Namibia, which just so happens to be a ten minute walk from our house! It still amazes me that this synagogue exists considering more than 95% of the Namibian population is Christian.

Although the temple is orthodox and my family is reform I had a wonderful time. We had a service. The men and women were separated, which was new for me. The service was done entirely in Hebrew, so I couldn’t get too much from it. We met a nice Israeli couple that were in Namibia studying biology. They helped us navigate through the service and dinner. There was also a rabbi from Pennsylvania there. He must have sensed our relative inexperience and walked us through the dinner.

It was so nice to read the Haggadah under the Namibian night sky! I was reminded of my family and the time we spent together every year at Passover. I also learned some new things about Passover which I Had not known before.

Most of all, the food made me so happy! I got to have all the good Jewish food, such as matzoh and gifilte fish! It made me so glad to celebrate this important holiday. It was a night to remember!

Also did you know that the first grave of a European in Namibia, is in Swakopmund, of a Jewish lady who was stolen by Europeans and forced into prostitution. Late she became the Madame of the brothel!

No comments:

Post a Comment