Wednesday, January 6, 2010

T-8 Days!

I am writing now from my living room in Indianapolis, Indiana 8 days from when I'm departing for my voyage to South Africa and Namibia. I am going to spend a semester abroad there. Three months and three weeks to be exact. I will be taking classes and working at an internship. I will be spending most of my time in Windhoek (pronounced wind-hook) the capitol of Namibia, I will spend my first week in Johannesburg South Africa and my last week in Cape Town, South Africa.

The classes I will be taking are as follows:
Racism and Resistance in Southern Africa and the U.S.
Political and Social Change in Southern Africa
The Development Process- Southern Africa
Religion and Social Change in Southern Africa

The beauty of these classes and this entire program is that it fits so beautifully into one of my majors: International Service. My major is a large part of the reason why I chose to study abroad in Namibia. Telling people where I was studying abroad elicited many different responses!

I'm going to Namibia because I am looking to gain an invaluable experience by studying abroad and working abroad. It's so important to me to see and experience other parts of the world and how people live. Also my internship will be working at the only home for domestically abused women in Windhoek, called Friendly Haven. I hope this will be a challenging and valuable experience.

Ultimately, I'm unsure of what Namibia has to offer me but I'm excited and ready for it! A part of me is scared! I don't quite know what to expect but I'm sure whatever will come of it will be an amazing experience.

Keep up with my posts to see how I'm doing before I leave and what I am up to while in Namibia and South Africa!

Sam

4 comments:

  1. Good luck! Can't wait to read all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'll be sure to check regularly. YOU BETTER UPDATE o_o. Don't make me go ove there...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you. I am so excited for what you're about to experience! :)

    ReplyDelete